Skip to content

Residence and Work Permit

Applicants who are going to study, seek family reunification, work (also as au pairs) etc. for a period exceeding 3 months must apply for a residence permit.

The Danish Immigration Service outlines the general requirements for residence and/or work permits to Denmark. All applications for residence and/or work permit will be forwarded by the Royal Danish Embassy to the Danish Immigration Service for a decision.

Applicants will be informed by the Royal Danish Embassy when a decision has been reached.

How to apply and pay the fees?

From 1 July 2019, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark including all Danish diplomatic missions are introducing online payment of the embassy fee for residence or work permit.

The embassy fee should be paid online here.

The receipt for the payment should be submitted at the Danish Visa Application Centre (VFS) when you hand in your passport, relevant documentation and supply biometrics. Please note that in Residence/Work permit cases there are three fees to be paid. 1) The fee to either The Danish Immigration Service or The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI), 2) the fee to the Danish embassy and 3) the fee to the Danish Visa Application Centre (VFS).

Please do not lodge your application until you have ticked the boxes in the checklist in the application form.

Finding the right application form

In the right column you can download the Danish Immigration Service's Form Guide with links to all the application forms for residence and work permits for Denmark. Please use the guide to download the appropriate application form.

Each individual form comes with step-by-step instructions. Please read and follow the instructions carefully. Collect al the required documentation before submitting your application.


The Royal Danish Embassy in Bangkok forwards all applications to the Danish Immigration Service in Copenhagen for processing. Once the Danish Immigration Service has reached a decision they will forward the written approval or refusal (a letter) to the Royal Danish Embassy in Bangkok who, in turn, will notify the applicant.

Third-country citizens who require a visa to enter Denmark will in addition to the written approval letter also be issued a long-stay visa for Denmark in their passport. The Embassy of Denmark will issue this visa. The visa allows them to enter Denmark and upon arrival they must obtain a residence card from the Danish Immigration Service.

If the Danish Immigration Service refuses your application, a letter of refusal will be sent to you.

For processing times see the information on the Danish Immigration Service's website.

Original passport

You must present your original passport upon lodgement of your application. Your passport must be valid for three months longer than your intended stay.